Re: [BRHSlist] 10-6 Sleepers and Zephyr questions

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 10-6 Sleepers and Zephyr questions
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 09:36:08 EST
In a message dated 1/6/02 5:27:55 AM Central Standard Time, Aeolus3@a...
writes:

> The American Royal Zephyr used both heavy weight and streamlined cars. You
> would often find the rebuilt SSS Coaches in the train. The same with the
> Blackhawk, I don't know as much about the Blackhawk as I would like, but I
> would assume heavy weights and streamlined equipment. I know my Blackhawk
> will have 3 SSS coaches, 2 prewar flat top Budd coaches, an NP Diner, one
> 10-6 from the CZ Pool, one 6-6-4 Burlington Silver Orchid, and bringing up
> the markers a heavy weight Pullman. Of course alot of Head End Equipment.

While Loren has a great answer here, like every consist, it fluctuated over
time. For example, in 1950, the year I model, the American Royal had not yet
acheived Zephyr status and was (likely) running with (2) heavyweight chair
cars, a heavyweight diner, an 8-1-3 sleeper (likely the Denver Tower and
Mission Tower turtle-top roofed and skirted sleepers) and a 12-2 "University"
sleeper. The 1950 Blackhawk was combined with the GN's Oriental Limited
(Chicago to St. Paul/Minneapolis then on to Seattle - using the old Empire
Builder heavyweight cars). It likely carried (2) 52 seat pre-war SS coaches,
and (2) 8-5 "Clover" sleepers. This train was a night train and didn't pick
up it's diner until LaCross, WI (it also dropped it their on the return trip)
The Oriental Limited cars were all heavyweights. After 1951, the Blackhawk
was often combined with GN's new Western Star streamliner on the Chicago to
St. Paul run.

As you can see, it is much neater to model 1950 and have a great mix of cars,
rather than just boring, old stainless steel cars! ;-)

Rich