Re: [BRHSlist] Re: OS - Was Suggested Reading

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: OS - Was Suggested Reading
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@g...>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:59:37 -0700
Hi Folks:

Re: "OS". I've always understood it to mean "On Sheet", where the Operator
was reporting to the Dispatcher that a train had arrived, and/or departed.
When they ran the CTC through Edgemont, we started to call the section of
track between the opposing absolute signals (where the switch "generally" is
located) "The OS"....referring to the old "On Sheet" report. We still use
"OS" for the area between the absolutes, as in: "I'm just going to pull the
motors into the OS at 584.4, and back into DC-3, I don't need permission for
a reverse move over a power switch".

When the Orin line was still train order territory, we had a Register Book
at Black Thunder Jct. Trains arriving and departing Black Thunder or Jacobs
Ranch Mines would have running orders to/from the Jct. (the rest of the way
into the mines is Rule 105 territory), and would have to register in and out
in the book, which was kept in a little wooden shed with the block phone.
Your running order would usually be something like: "Eng. 5500, run Extra,
Donkey Creek to Black Thunder Jct. and after Extra 5500 West of June 30 has
arrived, return to Donkey Creek" Since you were the Extra 5500 West, of the
specified date, you knew you had arrived, but you still had to register,
account you might die in there loading coal and the relieving crew needed to
know that they didn't have to wait for their own train to arrive. Also,
since both mines would hold more than one train, you had to register in and
out in case there was another train already in there that had an "after
arrival" on you.

BTW...a Register Book mis-reading led to the head-on collision under the
Denver-Boulder turnpike on the C&S a few years ago. The same motor was
being used every day on a rock train turn job. The outbound freight had a
new brakeman, and he neglected to notice that the turn that had arrived was
the previous day's when he made the Register Check, and reported to the
Engineer that the rock train had arrived.....it hadn't.

Later,

Mike Decker