Re: [BRHSlist] Don't pull the 3001 forward until....

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Don't pull the 3001 forward until....
From: "VLBG" <VLBG@s...>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:31:56 -0600
Bill,

An often overlooked rule. There are plenty of single car
derailments that are quickly put back on with frogs and blocking
and everybody goes away happy.

The FRA rule says that any friction bearing wheel that has been
on the ground has to be inspected by a qualified carman before the
car is moved. Roller bearing axles that have been on the ground
are required to have the truck frame jacked on both sides and the
bearing spun by hand by a qualified carman.

Had the carmen call me one morning from La Crosse while I
was at Cochrane. Seems that a load of feed had been derailed
there in the night. A Roadmaster and Trainmaster had gotten out
there and blocked it back on. Then they got on the radio and
proudly called the wheel truck and told them to go back, they
were not needed. The carmen were calling me to find out if
the car was still there. It was on the East end of the Westward
siding which was very close to the depot. I said I would look
at it and call them back. All four of the adapters were either
partially out or turned on the truck that had derailed. Gave them
the information and when they got the truck out from under the
car found that the adaptor that was turned had a brass under it
that was cracked in half.

Those two Officers were really a lot of help that night.

I would say that anything that has been sitting on display
should get the same treatment.

The VLBG