Re: Donated Steam Engines

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Donated Steam Engines
From: "liljop" <wulrich@a...>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:22:36 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., "nftrains2000" <nftrains@n...> wrote:
> working condition are/were they in.
> I would guess they ran when they took them to were they are right?
> If so it's really sad they would just let these units rot away like
> this.
>
> Larry Doub

larry,
sorry missed your question. the 3001 was shoved into its present
resting place by the 3 o'clock switch engine, so it did not move
under its own power. don't know if it came to ottumwa under its own
power, but if i had to guess would say no. someone more knowlegable
then me would have to explain how they move a 'dead' steam engine.
they built a temp track (why is the term shofly banging around in my
head?) and shoved it into place several? days before the dedication.
someone mentioned that it is kinda hidden now, it was not in the
60's. used to go to beans across main st from the depot and you could
see the engine plainly then. think it was plainly visable thru the
late 60's from main st, then the trees? bushes? grew up.

warren