Re: [BRHSlist] Donated Steam Engines

To: nftrains@n..., BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Donated Steam Engines
From: WPDiven@a...
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:17:36 EST
In a message dated 12/13/01 2:46:04 am, nftrains@n... writes:

<< I was wondering, when a RR donated these steam engines, what kind of
working condition are/were they in. >>

Greetings list:

I know we don't like to discuss heathen roads like the AT&SF, but bear with
me a moment, and I'll get back around to our cause.

The Santa Fe kept two retired steamers, 4-8-4 2925 and 2-10-4 5021, under
cover of the Belen, NM, roundhouse through the 1970s. These were among the
last built and maybe 15 years into expected long service when they were
retired. A yard crew dutifully pulled each from its stall and shoved it back
in on a monthly basis to keep everything lubed. There were rumors (or
perhaps wishful thinking) that one of these beasts was actually fired up
under cover of darkness and taken for an illicit run.

When ATSF tore down the roundhouse ca. 1982, as I recall the story, the 2925
went to Amarillo (Cleburne?) for possible return to service, but the brass
hats decided the promotional value wasn't worth the ($500,000?) cost. The
5021 was parked in the Albuquerque roundhouse with the rest of the "Santa Fe
Collection" which included Warbonnet F units with a kazillion miles on them
and ready for scrapping. When ATSF razed the Albuquerque house ca. 1987, the
Santa Fe Collection including both steamers was donated to the California RR
Museum. The kicker to the story is that the locomotives, lovingly protected
by the railroad, have been parked outdoors in Sacramento and are, according
to second-hand reports, rusting away.

The sidebar to this story is the failed attempt by locals in Albuquerque to
turn the roundhouse into a museum. An ATSF vice president told me the
railroad was willing, but the locals couldn't get it together. Now a local
group has succeeded in acquiring the ATSF shop complex for the Wheels Museum
and has its eyes on the roundhouse site with the still-working turntable.
The goal is supposed to be a combination museum/retail/exhibition center to
include 4-8-4 2926 recently pulled from a city park. The group is even
competing with the city to get the Amtrak station located there. A separate
group has hopes of firing up the 4-8-4 once they get covered shop space at
the museum.

The museum is not limiting itself to railroads, hence the name Wheels, which
is why racer Bobby Unser is involved in the project. The potential Q
connection here is the statewide scope of the project. I have not heard the
C&S or FW&D mentioned specifically, but they caught enough of the state to be
relevant. Any chance they'll be referenced in more than a few maps and
photographs? Beats me, but if anyone knows of C&S/FW&D equipment in need of
rescue, this place has potential. It's at least a year or two from being
more than just a big piece of property with grandiose plans, but equipment is
already accumulating in the yard. Long range there is hope for a working
restoration shop supporting steam excursions. You can check the place out at
<A HREF="http://www.wheelsmuseum.org";>www.wheelsmuseum.org</A> In the
meantime, we're looking for volunteers to shovel decades of pigeon droppings
from the blacksmith building.

Regards,

Bill Diven