Re: Donated Steam Engines

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Donated Steam Engines
From: "liljop" <wulrich@a...>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:25:29 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., Ken martin <kmartin@c...> wrote:
> There is a roster of surviving steam engines on the society web
page at:

> http://www.burlingtonroute.com/rosters/rosters.html
>
> Below are the surviving Hudsons. Most were donated in the
early '60's. I am
> not sure of all the conditions the Q imposed with the donation but
do know
> some RR's deliberately made engines unservicable before donation.
>
> Ken Martin
>

> 3001 CB&Q/Amtrak Depot, Wapello
> County Historical Museum Ottumwa, IA
>
> 3003 CB&Q/Amtrak Depot 100 S
> Main St. Burlington, IA
>
> 3006 Galesburg Railroad Museum -
> Amtrak Depot Galesburg, IL
>
> 3007 Originaly donated to Quincy, IL now at
> Illinois Railway Museum Union, IL
>
> 4000 Copeland Park La Crosse, WI

ken,
first of all have nothing in writing, no quotes, for example from vol
12 from a ongoing 30 volume treatise on the c b and q to back up my
opinion. this is just rememberances from my father and other older
engineers and what they talked about in regards to the s engines
(3000 series)that were put up for display along the c b and q.

so here is what i can remember being told

concerning the 3001 at ottumwa, which is what larry started this
discussion by inquiring about. was told that this engine was in very
good shape, several said it had just been shopped not to awfully long
before it was taken out of service. had the opinion from hearing talk
that it would of not taken much at all to get the 3001 ready to run.
almost.... repeat almost, got the opinion... that this engine, the
3001, was in such shape that it could be fired up and haul a train to
creston or galesburg without any problem. this is probably an
exageration on their part and then my part for repeating it. do
remember several old engineers saying they put all that money in that
engine, the 3001, rebuilding it, believe they said, then it sets at a
depot.

can not comment too much on the other engines at burlington,
galesburg, quincy, etc., but have heard that they were in almost as
good of shape as the 3001 and it would not take too awfully much to
get any of them back running. again, really don't know, just what i
heard. of course this was around 1960, now they have sat
deteriorating for 40 plus years, so no matter what shape they were in
around 1960, it is now many fold, possibly, expotentally worse.

another story that i heard is how these engines came to be displayed
at depots and not scrapped like the hundreds of other steam engines.
again, this is just old engineers opinions i talked to, nothing to
back up what they said in writing.... the government made them do
it... thats what they said and believed. took engines that were not
scrap, in fairly decent shape, and put them along their mainlines to
be saved. was the old engineers opinion that the govt believed this
country almost got caught with its pants down in 1941 and the govt
did not want the rr's to scrap all their old engines, keep some for
spares, (don't think we could call them war spares) for spares that
could be brought back to use in case of a national emergency. we are
talking the mid 50s here supposedly when these decisions were made.
again... just writing what these older engineers were told, or
believed, and then talked about. remember am just a messenger, not
the message for a 100 per cent fact, just posting what i heard.

so, there it is, what i heard, now 40 some odd years ago

apologize for the length.

(at least when you reply to a message you don't see that silly
advertisment in the text, wish there was a way to get rid of it)

warren