Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Waycar

To: dzinnecker@j..., BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, JimKathMarriott@w...
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Waycar
From: WPDiven@a...
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 00:31:26 EST
In a message dated 11/24/01 4:00:07pm, dzinnecker@j... writes:

<< JimKathMarriott@w... (Jim/Kathy Marriott) writes:
> My husband and I purchased a CB&Q caboose this summer. We live in
> Northern California (how it got out here must be an interesting
> story in
> itself) and are having a hard time researching our waycar as the
> I.D.
> numbers were sandblasted off by the previous owner. >>

Greetings all:

In 1977 I visited Napa, Cal., and photographed a 3-window waycar lettered as
CB&Q 14112 on display somewhere in the Napa Valley. My note-taking was hit
and miss on that trip (blame the winery tours), so I can't say specifically
where it was parked at the time. The photos show it coupled to freight cars,
and my vague recollection is these were part of an antique co-op in/near Napa
where a friend's parents had a stall. I can check on that. The waycar
appears to be in its original Q paint and sitting on Q trucks. I'm looking
at a contact print of 35 mm black-and-white negatives, so the detail is a
little fuzzy.

Anyway, "Waycars of the Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy" lists the 14112 as a
Class NE-1, body 28 feet long inside the platforms, three windows, built in
Plattsmouth, Neb., in August 1879, as Burlington & Missouri River 15.
"Waycars" indicates the 14112 was assigned a Burlington Northern number after
the 1970 merger, but it was not repainted or renumbered before being sold to
the "OP&E" in 1975. That presumably was the Oregon, Pacific & Eastern based
in Cottage Grove, Ore. How it got from there to Napa? You're on your own.

If this sounds like your critter, let me know and I'll make prints next time
I fire up the darkroom.

Regards,

Bill Diven