Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q and NP Slumbercoach Pool Arrangements

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q and NP Slumbercoach Pool Arrangements
From: "Stephen Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 23:47:18 -0500
Four NP slumbercoaches and two CB&Q slumbercoaches could protect the North
Coast Limited and one slumbercoach car line on the DZ. This worked because one
North Coast Consist would lay over in Chicago overnight. Thus the slumbercoach
from that train would be placed on the outbound DZ, leaving at 5:00PM. The
slumbercoach from the next morning's inbound DZ would immediately be sent out
on the outbound North Coast.

During the summer and also during the winter holidays, the DZ would run 2
slumbercoaches. In July of 1961, I saw the NP Slumbercoach Loch Lomond on #1 in
Omaha as I passed her on #10, riding on the Q Slumbercoach Silver Siesta, which
was running on the Colorado Springs-Chicago car line. The next morning, as I
detrained in Chicago, I saw the NP Slumbercoach Loch Ness toward the front of
our train, operating as the Denver-Chicago slumbercoach, the second one on our
train.

After the additional slumbercoaches were purchased by the Northern Pacific,
only the 4 DZ slumbercoaches Silver Siesta, Silver Slumber, Silver Rest and
Silver Repose operated on the DZ except for rare occasion (I did see the NP's
Loch Sloy on the DZ in the spring of 1968 on one occasion). However, after the
Burlington Northern merger, I generally saw the 4 original NP slumbercoaches on
the DZ.

sjl

Stephen Levine and Linda Anderson

steveandlindaare@h...
If trains were just for kids...we wouldn't wanna grow up!