Re: [BRHSlist] Scale

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Scale
From: "TheVLBG" <TheVLBG@s...>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:59:25 -0500
From: William Franckey
To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, 29 August, 2001 16:53

Charlie and List,
I guess I was kind of hoping for some way to reproduce Z scale or even
smaller in any form, even plastic as the buildings and their placement would
really take center stage......Believe it or not the early Galesburg yard
will fit on a 6 by 10 foot layout rather nicely in N Scale. This would mean
reproducing Depot Street to Seminary Street east to west with the entire
yard as of 1861 north to south. This would take in the infamous "five
points" across to Seminary Street encompassing the shops, the original 1st
wooden coal chute (there were two), both early roundhouses plus the shops.
Throw in the station house and freight house for good measure. As we all
know, sometimes a little information is more confusing, than
helpful.........This 1861 map shows an unknown "engine house" with a
turntable sitting off by itself, almost under Seminary Street Tower. This
unknown turntable should not be confused ith the turntable of the 1856
roundhouse. I have found descriptions of the original yard 1854-1855 but
have a much better idea about 1861......Recently I have located a map of the
1890s which show the last of Galesburg's original (Cedar Street) yard. The
1890 yard would not fit on a 6 by 10 foot layout. The latter yard existed
right up until the opening of Galesburg's gravity hump yards of 1905-1906.
The Q was extremely quick to obliterate the original yard and make some
alignment changes on the passenger main. Bill

Bill:

Very interesting about Galesburg. In 1930 there were three turntables
and roundhouses. Be glad to trade you a 1930 image for the 1890 if
you have a way to do it.

TheVLBG