RE: [BRHSlist] Scale

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Scale
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:34:08 -0500
Dale-
I had the opposite perspective. In 1965, I became frustrated because, after
getting an LMB O1a detailed for 4968 along with a Trains, Inc. NE-1, I
realized that I would have to scratchbuild all the Q equipment to fill out a
decent sized freight between the two.
So I decided to go into N Scale where my love for the Burlington would not
drive me crazy with trying to model it....no way you could ever be tempted
to model a specific railroad in such a tiny scale, right?
Well, that lasted about five years. Untold investment in brass CZ, E5s,
FTs, DZs, and development of kits for 9900, and now, manufacturing of mass
produced business car "Burlington" and various prewar and postwar Budd cars
later.... I am back modeling the Burlington...in N Scale.....but not as the
primary interest.
You are right about the train length... only problem is (thank God for my
wallet's sake) so far we haven't been blessed with O5, M4, or S4 or other
Burlington pattern steamers.
I can't, in good conscious, propose them for mass production, but who knows
what conversion kits might happen in the future.
Now I look at all the wonderful material available in HO to exactly model
the Q.... and wonder if I was too hasty in jumping scales.....but I do love
the ability to build a linear railroad in N....and if I can't do a model of
Western Avenue Roundhouse in the 40's, it is some compensation to be able to
run decent length freights, even if they are Galesburg & Savanna Rwy.
freelanced.
Charlie Vlk