Scale

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Scale
From: drale99@a...
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:10:09 EDT
I have a special point-of-view concerning scale for model railroading. I've
been in HO for close to 50 yrs. I started in HO because it was the smallest
scale I could get, and it would get me more railroad in a given space. What
has evolved is a large layout taking up half of my basement (occupying space
in two rooms) that I can operate much like the real thing in certain
respects. I'm pleased with the result, in that I can run trains with Q
locomotives and waycars that look like I remember them; I can handle trains
well at the terminals and station stops; and I can display my collection in
realistic settings for show-off purposes and photographing. I like to call
it a railroad, because it looks something like a real railroad.
Frankly, I wish it looked more like a railroad. My main objective is to
"have a railroad". My straight runs are too short. My station-stops are too
few and close together. Worst of all, my trains are too short. Train length
is limited by the capacity of my yards and terminal facilities. There is no
remedy in the kind of space I have. My M-4 remains in the engine-house
because it looks silly at the point of a 10-car train, and out of scale on my
main line.

If I were to start over (which I'm too old to do now) I would be in N scale.
I'm impressed with the overall effect of N scale, in that when large spaces
are taken advantage of, you get long, straight stretches of track, and you
can handle long trains. It's the railroad itself I'm most impressed with
more that the detail in the equipment. I seldom have cause to get down close
and look at the detail, even though I am very particular about the equipment,
and thrilled that I'm pulling a freight with an honest-to-goodness CB&Q mike,
and I'm very proud of all of my brass.

I'm not arguing that the smaller scale is a better scale. I'm just
expressing my own
point of view based upon what I try to do with my railroad.

DRale Reeves