Re: Follow-on Sections

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Follow-on Sections
From: glenehaug@m...
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 01:56:19 -0000
I really enjoyed all of the posts on the second-section operations.
I had the pleasure of observing Denver Zephyr #10 on week-day
mornings for about 6 weeks at Burlington during the summer of 1966.
As I remember, the train operated in 2 sections at least half of the
time, with the second section being 15 to 20 minutes behind.

The train I remember the most, however, was on a Monday morning when
#10 was running with a single consist of 5 motors and 27! cars, all
stainless steel. The impressiveness of this train was what caused me
to count the cars. This train appeared to span the entire length of
the Mississippi River bridge.

Equally impressive was the departure time from Burlington of about
7:05AM (6:05 CST, the Q didn't observe daylight time in 1966). I
believe the train was supposed to leave at 6:01, so this train was
virtually on time despite, probably, double-stopping everywhere
across Nebraska and Iowa.

Glen Haug