Re: [BRHSlist] Follow-on Sections

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Follow-on Sections
From: amtrak347@a...
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 03:23:58 EDT
In a message dated 6/4/2001 10:12:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
sjl@p... writes:

> In Colorado, I noticed green marker lights on the
> Silver Veranda while riding in the Silver Cup Chuckwagon Dome. (Green marker
> lights indicate a section following.).

Steve & others -
With no intent to "flame" anyone but just to clarify some terminology:
The green marker (marker denotes rear of train) should have been displayed
(on the rear car) in the forward direction of movement; a red marker should
have been displayed (on the rear car) to the rear of the train. I read
Steve's coment as if he were looking back at the Veranda as viewed from the
Chuckwagon; this is correct - he should see a green marker displayed towards
the front of the train on the rear car. As John stated, the engine displays
green class lights and/or flags on front of all sections except the last,
which displays none. White class lights and/or flags denote extra trains
which have no timetable authority.

Another two terms that frequently get twisted around in useage like class
lights/marker lights are trains that are "meeting or passing". When two
trains "meet" each other they are traveling in opposite directions
(hopefully not on the same track - aka "Cornfield Meet"). When one train
"passes" another train, they are both going in the same direction.

Around the Christmas holidays in 1969 and 1970, I fired various sections (2nd
or 3rd) of passenger trains out of Savanna from the freight pool.

Bob Campbell