Re: Follow-on Sections

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Follow-on Sections
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:01:07 -0000
Pete

Was the red to the rear and green to the front true for the
observation cars Silver Chateau and Silver Veranda? These, as you
know, were flat end.

If so, it would explain why I saw green lights on the Veranda. I was
looking at it from the Chuckwagon dome, which meant I was looking back
at it, so I would have seen the front marker lights.

sjl

--- In BRHSlist@y..., PSHedgpeth@a... wrote:
> Bob Campell et al
>
> As I read through the various posts which had accumulated overnight
re
> "follow on sections" I was jumping up and down re the incorrect
terminology
> regarding "markers"...I thought well if I continue through this
thing maybe
> someone will jump on and straighten it out...Bob you got it right.
>
> Just a couple of other comments. Some roads continued to use the
green
> classification lights for sections of first class (generally
passenger)
> trains in CTC territory where train numbers and sections have no
meaning at
> all since all movements are by signal indication and train orders
(other than
> "slow" orders) are not used. This was done on the Q in the 1950's
and I
> don't know how long after that. Also even the requirement that
markers be
> turned to show green to the rear when a train is in the clear to be
met or
> passed was also carried on into CTC days.
> I recall one late evening when I was braking on the Hastings-Huntley
local
> which also made trips on the off days east to Sutton and up the
Lushton
> branch and south the Clay Center (all in Nebraska for you Lines east
guys).
> We had come back from Lushton and were on the siding at Sutton
headed west as
> dusk was falling. We headed uptown to eat before returning to
Hastings. It