Re: [BRHSlist] Calendar Caption

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Calendar Caption
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 09:58:20 -0500
> Another question I would raise about the caption (as if I had any business
> complaining about the calendar, which is great!): To me (a 30's and 40's
> modeler)
> the locos in the photo are 3rd generation diesels. I think of F's as first
> gen., GP's and SD's as 2nd gen. and low-noses as 3rd. gen.

Drale:

As I understand, and that leaves plenty of room for interpretation, the
generally accepted distinction between diesel locomotive generations is a
function of technology and utilization, and not locomotive types. F units
and early GP and SD units were of the generation that caused steam to be
retired. Ergo, the first generation. Later, starting with the SD24 and GP20,
the second generation was introduced to replace the aging F and GP/SD units.
On the Q they began to replace the FT, F2 and F3. Continuing down the time
line, GP30. and 35's replaced more F units. In the later sixties, EMD
locomotives with 645 prime movers and the springless GE's replaced older
models including E units. The third generation of motive power is generally
considered to be those locomotives that replaced the second generation, i.e.
SD50, 60 and 70MAC and B or C whatevers from GE.

Giving a bit more thought to my misstatement overlooking the SD24 model in
this months calendar caption, I believe as I composed the caption, I was
thinking of the GE's replacing the SD9's (there's that generation thing
again) on Lines West. I have seen only a few pictures of SD24's on Line West
and they seem to congregate on the Lincoln-Denver main as opposed to the
Billings gateway. Anyway, there you have an intimate look into my thought
process. Gad, what a thought!

On another related subject, recently, I have noticed on several lists many
questions related to the use of classification and marker lamps, and past
operating practices. I imagine this is a function of the fact that younger
listers have not had the experience of observing those practices. In
addition to asking the questions here, may I suggest that if you have an
interest in how things were done in the past, you acquire a rule book from
that period. They are often found at show and if you shop carefully will not
cost a arm or leg. Owning a rule book may cause you to ask more questions,
but at least you will have the fundamentals and definitions on hand. It is a
good start.

It will be starting on the 2002 calendar soon and look forward to committing
more omissions and errors for you sharp eyed readers....... Ok, tongue
removed from cheek. Actually, I am pleased that Bob and DRale made the
observations, it keeps me honest. It is also refreshing to learn that the
captions are read, and that you are willing to keep me on track.

Thanks for letting me ramble.....
Ed DeRouin