Re: [BRHSlist] Foreign cars lettered CZ.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Foreign cars lettered CZ.
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:41:08 EDT
Stephen,

I was shooting from the hip without verifying the PRR Budd Rapids cars. I
know that the Silver Rapids was the only fluted, stainless steel 10-6 that
the PRR had. The fact that they had two Budd-built, non-fluted 10-6 cars is
very interesting! Now I have to do some digging to check these two cars out.
Thanks for pointing that out. I find when I think I really know a subject,
someone always finds the exception!

In an interesting sidebar, I had mentioned how certain railroads had special
relationships with the car manufacturers. The PRR had ordered five diners
from Pullman-Standard, ACF, and Budd in 1939. Six years later, (after WWII)
they evaluated them and ranked ACF first, PS second, and Budd last! This is
why there were so few Budd cars in the PRR postwar trains. Contrast that to
the Q's loyalty to Budd. Look at which cars are still running today!

Rich