Re: [BRHSlist] Foreign cars lettered CZ.

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Foreign cars lettered CZ.
From: SilvrDome@a...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:13:10 EDT
sjl,

In 1970 Sturgeon Rapids was renamed Toronto Harbour. This was a smooth
sided 10-6 Pullman built in 1949 with Scioto Rapids renamed "Toronto
Islands". These cars had the flat panels painted tuscan red. Working as a
Red Cap in Kansas City Union Station in 1973, the car Toronto Harbour would
show up in the transcontinetal line from New York City to Los Angeles as car
3135 on the Amtrak "National Limited" from NYC to LA. The porter was very
unahappy as I recall. I inquired as to why, and he took me to the linen
locker and explained how East Coast Pullmans were designed to store only
enough linens for an overnight trip (as Toronto Harbour ran from Washington
via Williamsport to Toronto.) Working the car from NYC to Los Angeles was a
challenge with regards to linens and other supplies. Something I had never
considered as a railbuff.

Had these cars been included in the CZ Consist, they would have stood out as
painted Budd flat sided equipment similar to Norfolk and Western Budd
Pullmans, or Missouri Pacific Pullmans. I can't say it never happened, but
it would be interesting to see a picture showing these cars on a
transcontinetal sojourn.

Can anyone provide more documentation?

Hubert Hanrahan