Re: [BRHSlist] Lines west (and south)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Lines west (and south)
From: Wes Leatherock <wleath@s...>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 21:11:26 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:41:55 -0600 M. Thayer <zephyr@k...> wrote:
> [...]

They actually had separate corporate existences and were
shown in the corporate pages in the Official Guide, in the
maps in the Official Guide, and usually in the individual
timetables.

The parent Missouri Pacific Railroad itself was a
conglomeration of various roads, just like the CB&Q and
most roads. The most important constituents were the
original Missouri Pacific and the St. Louis, Iron Mountain
and Southern.

All of the individual subsidiaries (not all of them
were in Texas) were merged into the Missouri Pacific when
it finally emerged from one of the longest bankruptcies
in railroad history. The attorney general of Texas
protested vigorously the bankruptcy judge couldn't do
that, but he could and he did.

After that, most railroads over the years folded
their Texas subsidiaries into the parent companies, but
not with the suddenness that would have been expected if
the existence of the Texas subsidiaries were such a
burden as some railfans seem to think.

Wes Leatherock
wleath@s...