Re: [BRHSlist] Modeling CB&Q Express Cars

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Modeling CB&Q Express Cars
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:51:01 -0600
From: "Paul/Celine Kossart" <kozys@t...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 8:11 PM

> Thanks for the comeback, too, Mike. Now you've got me wondering what
would
> be a good starting point to model the 40 foot car as well - Any ideas?

Either a freight or express XM-32 can be represented by the Red Caboose
10'6" AAR car (with ladder modifications and the addition of Passenger
steam/signal piping). Most of the express versions were delivered on Allied
Full Cushion Trucks (available cheap from Eastern Car Works - also announced
by Cape Line, although I haven't seen them - or really expensive from
Precision Scale). From the first 50 in 1940 up through late '44, the 40'
express cars were pullman green with standard freight lettering (WotZ/EW)
(except for the return to agent block). Beginning in mid-'44, they were
relettered (and renumbered to the 8000s) in the manner shown on Mike's
50-footer.

The XM-32 express cars were pretty much rendered redundant with the purchase
of the 300 Troop Kitchen Cars, and were repainted to oxide red and returned
to freight service.

Marshall