Re: [BRHSlist] Modeling CB&Q Express Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Modeling CB&Q Express Cars
From: Paul/Celine Kossart <kozys@t...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:05:22 -0600
Hi all,

Recently received the Zephyr, registration for Spring Meet form, and other materials in the mail. In reference to the 2000 BRHS Model Contest Winners sheet enclosed, I am specifically interested in the model of the Burlington express car pictured in photos of the work by first place winner in the Passenger Car category as modeled by Mike Spoor (Didn't ignore Rich Gortowski's excellent work, that's just another project for another time!). Both are fine looking models which I would like to have on my layout, but right now my questions concern the 50' boxcar, #8503 as modelled by Mike.

Mike, can you share with the list how you modeled this car? What was the original model used? Are the doors and trucks, for example, original to that kit or are they an after market detail part replacement? What type of paint and color mix did you use. In short, could you write a few words describing how one could model this car to have for themselves. If you don't think this has enough broad interest to be included on the list, would appreciate your emailing me directly with how it was accomplished.

Also, what is the history of this car on the Burlington - when was it built, used, retired, car numbers, etc. etc.?

Thanks in advance on this one!

Paul (call this the Zephyr "Modeler's Corner" department article) Kossart - Peru, Illinois, USA
BRHS, La Salle & Bureau County Model Railroad Club

Proto-Freelancing The CB&Q Illiniwek River Branch in HO in the 1960's...
"Serving Agriculture and Industry in the Illiniwek River Valley since 1904."