Re: [BRHSlist] Oregon, IL Q customers

To: RGortowski@a..., BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Oregon, IL Q customers
From: WPDiven@a...
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:14:57 EST
In a message dated 3/7/2001 7:10:25 PM, rgortowski@a... writes:

<< I know that the Q served E.D. Etnyre and Company (where I work) and
occasionally took flatcars of road equipment from the plant (which was past
the Carnation plant, close to Rt. 64). >>

Greetings listers:

Other posts seem to have pretty well covered the businesses on the river spur
in Oregon, so I'll only add the following:

My recollections from the early '60s include a coal yard which I suppose
could have been the lumber yard with several large bins for different grades
of coal backed against the river. Might have been some kind of fuel jobber
down there too. The memory is a little hazy since I didn't hang out in that
industrial part of town behind the C&I Tap.

Also, I suspect the spur used to extend north of Rt. 64 although my rummaging
through files this morning has not found any real confirmation. I did run
across the recollections of an early Etnyre who said the company started in a
building on the river bank north of 64 in 1898 and moved south of the highway
in 1906.

I also have a postcard ca. 1910 that shows several multistory industrial
buildings and smaller, warehouse-type buildings north of the highway. These
would include the piano factory, probably Etnyre's first building and perhaps
the foundry that supplied the piano factory with parts. The Rock River
bridge appears to be set low enough for a grade crossing. I read someplace
that Lewis Hormell had a brewery in the neighborhood in the latter 1800s, but
I'm not sure where.

Regards,

Bill Diven