Havelock baggage cars

To: "BRHSlist" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Havelock baggage cars
From: "Cynthia & Duncan Cameron" <d.cameron@s...>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:26:29 -0500
I've started collecting the detail parts required to finish my Q connection
baggage cars and wanted to provide some observations and ask some help.

First, the parts list that Dave provided includes large stirrups from Cal
Scale. I didn't find that these matched the photos very well and that they seem
to require considerable straightening in order to look correct. I'm hoping that
someone can suggest a substitute. From the Walther's catalogue, it appears that
Detail Associates make a baggage car step and I'm curious if this would be
better. I'm certainly much happier with the look of the DA small stirrups that
I bought for the ends.

Second, I ordered the Precision Scale air tanks and realized right away that
these are much too big in diameter to be used. I did not order the Cal Scale
tanks but am open to recommendations about an appropriate size tank for use on
these cars.

Third, it appears that the Custom Finishes roof vents may be hard to obtain.
The catalogue lists them as being available only on occasion. The question was
asked earlier on the list about a substitute for these, but I don't believe any
suggestions were forthcoming. Any now?

Finally, I'm still looking for suggestions on parts to use for the brake
handle, generator, brake components, and battery boxes.

Could anyone whose already worked through some of these things please provide
some advice?

Thanks,
Duncan Cameron

(modelling the "Q" in Keokuk, Iowa in 1963)