Re: [BRHSlist] a digression

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] a digression
From: atsf3460@a...
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 01:48:37 EST
The Blue Goose was the only one of its kind on the Santa Fe. I haven't ever
read or learned why it was ever ordered but know that there was also to be a
streamlined 4-8-4 Blue Goose. That was to be #3765 but all it ever got was
stainless handrails, a stainless brake wheel on the tender, and a formed
metal pilot - with the shrouding it would have been too heavy. The Santa Fe
thought enough of the Goose to display it in PR photos with the original E1s
and stainless steel trains in the Chicago yards. Unfortunately a different
Hudson was saved (in Topeka) than #3460.

The closest thing in terms of streamlining to the Goose had to have been the
New Haven I5 Shoreliner Hudsons. Very similiar streamlining in my opinion.
Technically, the sister engines to the Goose were possibly the C&NW E4
Hudsons and Milwaukee F7 Baltic 4-6-4s. These locos all had 84" drivers and
were examples of late '30s superpower.

Hope this info helps understand this neat engine. Although I visit
Burlington #3006 at least once a month over in Galesburg I'm rather partial
to the Goose also (see email address!).

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL