The Silver Pilot on Valentines Day

To: BRHS List <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: The Silver Pilot on Valentines Day
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:12:45 -0600
Was thinking today about E5A 9911A, the Silver Pilot, at the Illinois
Railway Museum.

As you all know, this locomotive was delivered, I believe, in 1939 or
1940 along with an E5B unit, 9911B, the Silver Mate.

As such, the Silver Pilot and Silver Mate had a wonderful career
together, pulling the Exposition Flyer, the Zephyrs and other trains.
In the mid-50's the locomotives were sold to the Colorado and Southern,
where they pulled the Texas Zephyrs and other C&S and FW&D passenger
trains.

When the Zephyrs were both discontinued, the couple were demoted to a
life of drudgery and hard labor, hauling drag freights up and down
Palmer Lake Hill south of Denver. Both having been born in the
aristocratic world of The Limiteds fared poorly in this service, burning
out traction motors right and left. After 6 or so months of this, their
masters cast them out, sending them back to Electromotive in trade for
new power. Both were sent to the Hades of Pielet Brothers scrap yard.

The Silver Pilot was rescued and restored and now pulls the Train of the
Goddesses at the Illinois Railway Museum. The locomotive was even in a
feature film, "League of Their Own".

The Silver Mate was not so lucky, succumbing to the cutting torch.

So I got to thinking this afternoon. There is the Silver Pilot, bereft
of his long time mate of many years, so aptly named. Yet he survived
and is now living the easy life pulling beautiful cars named after
beautiful women. Do you think he is happy? I think not.

sjl