Re: Sunday Only CD - questions

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: Sunday Only CD - questions
From: liljo@o...
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 07:16:19 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@egroups.com, amtrak347@a... wrote:

[clip]

> Engine crew Chicago to Galesburg would have been Aurora Division
(freight
> pool) men headquartered at Galesburg. At Galesburg, an East
Ottumwa engine
> crew would have taken over to Ottumwa. I wonder if it was Bob
Coe? Bob was
> the #1 engineer on the East Ottumwa Division when I hired-out in
engine
> service in 1969. Bill F. - can you check this out? Is he still
alive and
> did he save any of his timebooks? Maybe it was Homer Ward or his
son
> Jim????? Later.
>
> Bob Campbell
> Naperville, IL

some more names it could be besides bob coe: larry owens, walt
johnson, skeeter wills, dan daniels, ....grey matter just quit
working. also in 6-61 could be alot older man than ones mentioned
as some pool turns were held by men older than 41 men. this could be
a man who hired out in late 20's or early thirties, who would of had
another 10 years working steam and maybe got his whistle down good.
(there was a ten+ year period from 1929 until spring 1941 where very
few or no enginemen were hired)

also remember blowing the whistle got to be a form of pride and
almost an art to them. alot of engineers developed a special and
unique whistle so their wives would know it was them when they were
coming into town.

must mention to the non railroad crew that #1 engineer meant he was
the oldest engineman in seniority on his division or oldest head as
he was called (among other things)