Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q units in Milwaukee

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q units in Milwaukee
From: Ken martin <kmartin@c...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:23:20 -0800
Jules Johnson wrote:

> Bob, don't forget that the mighty Mississippi did quite a lot of damage to
> the Q on the Illinois side at Burlington, Ia. I was to arrive at a college
> in Fairfield, Ia. in June 1965(you know to stay out of the draft) and we had
> to cross the river at Rock Island and travel south to Burlington to get back
> on US 34. Would you have any idea where the trains would haved detoured to,
> Ft Madison, Quincy, Rock Island? Oh well your message about your summer of
> 1965 reminded me of this event.

In 1965 when the levee broke on the Illinois side the water went through the
underpass where hwy 34 went under the RR tracks. As I recall this lowered the
hwy 30 feet and took out about 1000 ft of double track on a fill. By the time
the water got to Gladstone the river was almost ten miles wide. I was in
Burlington Community College and worked filling sandbags over Easter break.

Ken Martin