Re: [BRHSlist] Sunday Only CD - Questions

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Sunday Only CD - Questions
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@g...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:00:38 -0700
Hi John:

I rode some of the "Only on Sunday" trips (though the "way freight" to
Rockford was a Saturday trip). I think the Engineers put a little extra
into the "show" part of it :>)

Now.......if you listen to the Second album on the CD, you'll hear where I
developed MY style. I bought a 3-chime whistle and put it on the R&GN Ry.
#128, and made 'er talk. Since I was shovelling my own coal, nobody
complained about the amount of steam I was using blowing the whistle.
Nowdays, with the "fly-by-wire" motors we've got, the best you can do is a
little "poop" at the end of a blast.

One of our wonderful MAC slaves put my train into a Penalty Application a
couple trips ago, and even the Fort Worthless radio roundhouse couldn't fix
it. So....the Engr. behind me set it up for pneumatic back-up (trail) and I
drug it and the other 18,557 tons of coal into Edgemont with the two on the
point. We were down to 7 mph on Osage and Newcastle, but it suprised the
hell outta me, we made it. I wouldn't want to say what condition the two on
the point were in after I got done with them though :>) Maybe you can't
burn up the traction motors on an AC motor, but you CAN make 'em stink :>)

Have fun.

Mike Decker