Sunday Only CD - questions

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Sunday Only CD - questions
From: John Knopp <jdknopp@w...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:21:55 -0500
Hi all,

Just got my copy of "Sunday Only" - what a great recording. It did bring up a question or two, though.

The recordings were made between 1959 and 1962 and it got me to thinking about the crews who operated the trips. Since I'm from Burlington originally I've pretty much worn out (if that's possible) the track on the CD that has the 5632 with 10 cars climbing the westbound grade out of Burlington towards the Shops. It'll bring a tear to your eye, even if you were weaned on the sounds of EMDs and GEs climbing that same hill as I was. Believe it or not, one of the most interesting things about the recording is the "whistle" work. Someone once wrote that Casey Jones could make a whistle "scream like a banshee" or "say its prayers" but the 5632's hogger this day was no slouch, either!

So, who was this guy? Was he an old head who was specifically set up for fan trips such as this or was he just "next on the list" out of Galesburg that Sunday morning? One would assume that the Engineers' board in Galesburg around 1960 or so would have included plenty of folks with steam experience so the latter scenario seems plausible, if not the most likely.

As usual, thanks for the answers and insight that only this list can provide. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a CD to listen to (again)!

John Knopp
jdknopp@w...