Re: Sunday Only CD - questions

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: Sunday Only CD - questions
From: liljo@o...
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:52:04 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@egroups.com, John Knopp <jdknopp@w...> wrote:
> Hi all,

[clip]

> So, who was this guy? Was he an old head who was specifically set
up for
> fan trips such as this or was he just "next on the list" out of
Galesburg
> that Sunday morning? One would assume that the Engineers' board in
> Galesburg around 1960 or so would have included plenty of folks
with steam
> experience so the latter scenario seems plausible, if not the most
likely.

> As usual, thanks for the answers and insight that only this list
can
> provide. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a CD to listen to (again)!
>
> John Knopp
> jdknopp@w...

john,

no special crews were used, just regular everyday crews.

engine crews for excursions were taken from the freight pool, first
out pool crew.

train crews were taken from: conductor, the conductors extra list
and brakeman was taken from brakemans extra list. if a flagman was
needed he also was taken from brakemans extra list. was easy for
trainmen to get out of not going by the uniform excuse, either none
or dirty. usually when crews were called there were company
officials, trainmaster and or roadforman, around yard office in case
the excuses got too far from reality, or were running out of rested
men.

have saw engine crews being deadheaded to get to the engine crew
local official wanted. so the burlington would go to some extra
expense to get a crew "they" wanted, but there was not any certain
crew or crews for excursions.

the above description is an excursion being run from a non passenger
crew change terminal, as passenger engine and train crews had
different crew change points. (probably getting too deep here to just
answer simple question)