Re: [BRHSlist] Cab Signals

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Cab Signals
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:39:11 -0600
Ed and Others:

This subject has led to some confusion. Hopefully, when I complete the
article on CB&Q signal system history, some clarity will exist......ok, you
can stop laughing now....

The Q installed a continuous cab signal system in the early fifties on the
Chicago-Aurora and Aurora-Savanna Subdivisions and equipped E units, two
GP7s (243 and 244), and several steam locomotives with cab signal equipment.
This system was only a signal system and not Automatic Train Control (ATC)
or Automatic Train Stop (ATS).

Remember, our favorite railroad was frugal. If a 90 mph speed limit could be
obtained with ICC approval for only the installation of cab SIGNALS, the Q
was not about to spend the money for additional, and controls.

Freight locomotives did not need such equipment in the eyes of Q management.
The authorized speed limit for those train was well below 79 mph.

I believe the other roads you point to may not have wayside signals and rely
upon onboard signals, installed such systems to permit higher passenger
speeds, or use ATS as an additional safety factor.

Ed DeRouin