Re: [BRHSlist] Question Re Chicago Union Station

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Question Re Chicago Union Station
From: BNJohn@a...
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:40:39 EST
In a message dated 12/10/00 8:45:33 AM Central Standard Time,
wleath@s... writes:

> Perhaps one of the most noted examples at one time was
> the Union Station in St. Louis, perhaps served by more
> railroads than any other. It was owned and operated by
> the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis, which, as
> its name suggests, is owned by the railroads serving St.
> Louis. It still has very extensive freight operations,
> handling very much, if not most, of the interchange
> through St. Louis. It is so extensive, in fact, that it

Wes,
I guess you haven't been to St.Louis lately, the TRRA hasn't had extensive
freight operations since the late 70's to mid 80's. They actually do very
little switching in St.Louis at all, and what switching they do on the East
side does not even come close to what they did in the 70's. You can't forget
the Alton and Southern, they handle most of the interchange traffic in
St.Louis now and shared the load with the TRRA in St.Louis in the 70's. As
for the TRRAHS it is in no way associated with the railroad, and as a member
of the group I can tell you we are a very small society but have a great
society magazine. Sorry to get off the topic of the Q.

John Lee
St.Louis,MO.