Re: [BRHSlist] Question Re Chicago Union Station

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Question Re Chicago Union Station
From: rgortowski@a...
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 20:51:04 EST
In a message dated 12/9/00 5:02:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jns@i... writes:

> Seems peculiar also that ( or at least by todays practices) that the RR's
> consented to a station name that didn't include their names. Could it be
> that they rented space or paid fees like the Airlines do? O'Hare is owned

Chicago Union Station Company owned and operated CUS. The owners of the CUSC
were Pennsylvania Railroad (50%) Chicago, Burlington and Quincy (25%) and
Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific (25%). The Alton/GM&O was a tenant.

CUSC had it's own General Manager and Station Manager and issued it's own
timetables whenever the timetables of the user railroads changed.

I have many of these timetables from 1935 on. They are fascinating as they
list all of the "name trains" and commuter trains that arrived and departed.
In December 1950 that comes to 51 arrivals and 51 departures for the Q alone!
(Note - this was for Monday - Friday, there were special Saturday and Sunday
schedules)

For those of you not familiar with CUS, it was a double stub-ended station
with two run-through tracks. The Milwaukee Road used the north side, while
the Q, PRR and Alton/GM&O used the south side for passenger service. The
south side had 13 tracks for trains and 2 or 3 mail tracks. With all the
trains using these tracks, the schedule had to be a well orchestrated ballet.

Rich Gortowski