Re: [BRHSlist] Question Re Chicago Union Station

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Question Re Chicago Union Station
From: Wes Leatherock <wleath@s...>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 08:44:30 -0600 (CST)
"Union Station" is a generic name, and means it serves
more than one railroad, that is, that they have "united" to
operate out of one station.

Perhaps one of the most noted examples at one time was
the Union Station in St. Louis, perhaps served by more
railroads than any other. It was owned and operated by
the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis, which, as
its name suggests, is owned by the railroads serving St.
Louis. It still has very extensive freight operations,
handling very much, if not most, of the interchange
through St. Louis. It is so extensive, in fact, that it
has its own historial society.

Where there were more than one station in a city
used by multiple railroads, which one used the name "Union
Station" was more or less a local matter and partly a
matter of custom. In Fort Worth, for example, the T&P
Passenger Station was used also by the Burlington (Fort
Worth & Denver) and perhaps others. A interesting fact
was that Fort Worth to Houston and Galveston the
Burlington and Rock Island operated the former Trinity
& Brazos Valley jointly, so the Sam Houston Zephyr (Fort
Worth-Houston) and the Texas Zephyr (Denver-Dallas)
used the T&P station, while the Twin Star Rocket (Twin
Cities-Fort Worth-Houston) and later Texas Rocket (Kansas
City-Fort Worth) used the Santa Fe or Union Station.

But they all used Union Station in Dallas.

Quite often, as Dr. Levine says, the union station
company also controlled operations, had rule books and
special instructions, and issued employee timetables.

Wes Leatherock
wleath@s...