Re: [BRHSlist] Q NW1Switchers

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Q NW1Switchers
From: Gordon Smith <kc2bw@w...>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:18:37 -0500
Yup...It would take a major splice of the hood to stretch it. I only
mentioned the SC model in case you want one. If an NW-1 was made in the
60's, I think I would forget it. It would be so crude. As for EMC
changing prime movers...It was decided to start cutting out the outside
venders and make everything in house. This also cut out G E and
Westinghouse electrical equiptment. The SW-1 came out in 1/39 with newly
designed a V-6 567A engine. The 1000 hp NW-2 came out a month later with
a V-12 567A. Don't forget now, this was the begining of deiselization,
and the builders were shooting at different services, RR's, industrials,
very light rail areas where weight was a major consideration etc. I
think this is evident because EMD resumed post war production of the
SW-1. I remember sidings here where we could not take an SW-8 into
because they were too heavy! We had to use reachers.

Gordon

--
To reply take the 33 from the address