Re: [BRHSlist] Q transfers to B&O in Chicago

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Q transfers to B&O in Chicago
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 19:19:51 -0500
Ed DeRouin wrote:

> All:
>
> Some weeks ago we were talking about routes used in Chicago to transfer
> bypass mail and sleepers. I could not recall the Q running west to
> Western Ave. to gain access to the B&O. I recalled a another and shorter
> route but needed proof. I finally to a moment and dug into the files.
> And, there was my proof.
>
> A pair of crossovers existed easy of Canal Street on the approaches to
> the South Branch bridges of the St. Charles Air Line and the B&OCT leads
> to Grand Central. Moves could go in any direction. So all the crew on
> the 9372 had to do was pull west to Union Ave. and on to the Air Line.
> Then head east toward the bridge. I am certain the Bridge Operator
> handled the crossovers, I recall seeing interlocking signals on the
> approach to the bridge with a sufficient number of heads to give all
> kinds of diverging indications. The 9372 would then cross on to the B&O
> and deliver the bypass mail to the B&O, or C&O.
>
> Ed DeRouin

Ed:

You are exactly right as to the physical layout.

But....I've been told by different people over the course of many years
that those crossovers were rarely used.

This might have something to do with the trackage fees for the use of
the Airline. Union Ave. recorded every move that used that trackage
and while the "Q" was one of the owners I think they still got stuck
with a share of the proportional expense when they used it.

To get to the NYC for instance, there were no other options.

On the other hand if a "Q" crew went out to Western Ave and used the
B&OCT to go downtown I don't think it got put in one of those books
that get sent to the Accounting Dept. every month.

This is just based on dim memories and I might be all wrong or I
might be all right. Could use some more input on this.

Russ