Re: [BRHSlist] The Aleutian

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] The Aleutian
From: marshall <zephyr03@s...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 21:18:44 -0500
James Thompson wrote:

> Am wondering if someone could fill me in on Ralph Budd's relationship to
> the Aleutian. I think it was purchased by CB&Q in 1940 but am curious if
> Mr. Budd used it as his personal car. Thanks in advance!

Jim -

The Burlington *president's car* was named "Burlington" from 1922 to
beyond the BN merger, although it was not the same car through this
entire period. The car was built by Pullman in 1903 for President
Charles E. Perkins as the "Blackhawk". Upon his death, it was deeded to
the CB&Q. In 1915, the car was retrofitted with a steel underframe and
the name was replaced by the number 92. A second rebuilding in 1922
resulted in steel sheathing being installed over the original wooden
sides, and it was then named "Burlington". It was air-conditioned in
the late 1930s (with a rather strange "double-bubble" arrangement on the
left (aisle) side of the car). This would have been Ralph Budd's car
for the entire 17 years of his presidency of the road (1932 - 1949) . .
. In 1952, Harry C. Murphy's CB&Q took delivery of a new "Burlington" -
Budd-built stainless steel with an open end platform, and Perkins'
original car, the former first Blackhawk, reverted to "Business Car
#92".

This does not mean that RB never rode the Aleutian - or the second
Blackhawk, or whatever . . . . simply that it would not have been the
assigned "President's Car" at the time.

Marshall