Q transfers to B&O in Chicago

To: BRHSlist <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Q transfers to B&O in Chicago
From: Ed DeRouin <PIXELS@A...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 14:35:00 -0500
All:

Some weeks ago we were talking about routes used in Chicago to transfer
bypass mail and sleepers. I could not recall the Q running west to
Western Ave. to gain access to the B&O. I recalled a another and shorter
route but needed proof. I finally to a moment and dug into the files.
And, there was my proof.

A pair of crossovers existed easy of Canal Street on the approaches to
the South Branch bridges of the St. Charles Air Line and the B&OCT leads
to Grand Central. Moves could go in any direction. So all the crew on
the 9372 had to do was pull west to Union Ave. and on to the Air Line.
Then head east toward the bridge. I am certain the Bridge Operator
handled the crossovers, I recall seeing interlocking signals on the
approach to the bridge with a sufficient number of heads to give all
kinds of diverging indications. The 9372 would then cross on to the B&O
and deliver the bypass mail to the B&O, or C&O.

Ed DeRouin