Re: [BRHSlist] CUS and other transfers

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CUS and other transfers
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 16:31:31 -0500
Ed DeRouin wrote:

> Russ, Leo and Others:
>
> You are correct Russ, the PRR did enter CUS from both ends. From the
> south it was the Fort Wayne, and from the north, the Panhandle. Each an
> independent subsidiary until consolidation. The Panhandle had a yard,
> with engine and crew assignments at Damen Avenue Yard, note that it is
> not Robey Street in this case. The yard and the jobs lasted into the PC era.
>
> I understand that the CMStP&P tracks ended at Western Ave, where after
> crossing the C&NW they used trackage rights on the CUS tracks. I can see
> how agremments could be developed that allowed only PRR engines and
> crews to switch the CMStP&P freight houses since they were accessed from
> CUS trackage. I however have no proof. I never saw the houses being
> switched, only Milw passenger equipment moves, or PRR moves on the south
> side of the CUS mains. It would be nice to learn.
>
> I will ask the question on the Milw list.
>
> I also hope this wasn't to tedious for the CB&Q onlies,
>
> Ed DeRouin

Ed:

As I said, I have a B&W of a PRR transfer coming out of the depot
headed South at Taylor St. Also have a shot of a PRR transfer or
industry job between CUS and Damen Ave.

The MILW did have a line down the East side of the North Branch
that came almost downtown. IIRC they had bridges both at the
North and South end of Goose Island. The yard on Goose Island
was on the North end.

Got to find that stuff some day. Only so many hours in a day.

Let's leave this interesting discussion and get back to the CB&Q.

Russ