Re: [BRHSlist] CUS and other transfers

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CUS and other transfers
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 00:18:31 -0500
qutlx1@a... wrote:

> Russ,Yours on mail,etc transfers was one of few that I've printed out! Now as
> to the 60 second deadline why did you allow so much time for such an easy
> question? After the switch to Central Station the Soo used the IHB from "B12
> to Broadview where it gained the IC" and headed east. P.S. Thank you Ed
> Derouin and George Speir for your TRACKSIDE AROUND CHICAGO 1957-1965
> otherwise I would have made some silly guess about the B&OCT.
> Now for the serious stuff. You mentioned that all Milw frt houses between CUS
> and Western Ave were switched by the PRR. Please expand on that as it is
> totally new and very interesting. While your at it there is a good restaurant
> in the "river North"area that has the name "ERIE" and has the same inscribed
> above the door in cement as it is a former cold storage warehouse and had 2
> rail sidings. Is the Erie connection for real? This is north of the CNW line
> to Navy Pier and along the north branch of the river. Any ideas? Leo

Leo:

That was not a sole effort. Another Dispatcher understands that stuff
pretty good and I usually try and get a consensus before I shoot my
mouth off. You cheated on the SOO Line deal so no Gummi Bears for you.

The Panhandle line that went under us at Western Ave. continued North
and then turned East. In essence the PRR went into CUS from both ends.
I'm sure that was one of the reasons that the thru track right along
the river was part of the plan. Somewhere I have a black & white of
a PRR transfer coming out of the South end of #26 at Taylor Street.
A FM pouring out white smoke with about 75 cars.

As to how the MILW got in there I'll have to do some research.

There is an Erie Street in that area and I'd bet it had more to
do with the name than the RR.

Russ