Re: [BRHSlist] Who operates the former CB&Q suburban service?

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Who operates the former CB&Q suburban service?
From: Thomas Kaufman <elmer53@y...>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 05:12:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- User757388@a... wrote:

> Re:
> > Locomotives do not have
> > any BNSF markings as they are owned by Metra. The coaches on the other
>
> > hand do have BNSF heralds (decals) on the sides.
>
> Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but: I believe that when the ex-BN
> E-units
> were in use and owned by Metra, they still carried BN lettering. Being
> lettered for BN didn't mean they were not owned by Metra. I believe
> though
> that Metra kept the BN lettering for the sake of nostalgia, whereas they
>
> wouldn't be interested in painting locos for BNSF just because they run
> on
> BNSF tracks.
>
> Cheers,
> --Joe Antosiak

In at least one case, that scenario wouldn't be valid as the former MILW
(now Canadian Pacific), their trackage doesn't physically start until
Elgin as Metra has purchased the tracks from Elgin east. In this case the
CP has trackage rights from Bensenville Yard to the mainline west at
Elgin. And yes I know the I&M Railroad is the owner of the tracks from
Elgin west. Sasme scenario with the former Rock Island as Metra owns from
LaSalle Street to Joliet and CSX and Iowa Interstate take over from there.
Since NS now runs on IC from Gilman north the former NS line is now
owned by Metra from Dearborn Street depot to end of track at Manhattan.
I guess the only examples is the former CNW (UP), and the former BNSF<
(CB&Q) as their mainlies are still controlled by the paret companies and
Metra is just a tenant and not the owner of the tracks, Although they may
own the cars, locomotives, stations, and servicing facilities.
Tom Kaufman