Re: [BRHSlist] Who operates the former CB&Q suburban service?

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Who operates the former CB&Q suburban service?
From: Thomas Kaufman <elmer53@y...>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- JACK5008@w... wrote:
> Metra is the operating arm of RTA in Chicago and its suburbs.
>
> My understanding is that Metra operates the former RI and IC routes by
> itself. It is also my understanding that BNSF (former CB&Q) and UP
> (former C&NW) operate the suburban routes with their own employees. The
> services are under contract to Metra.
>
> I was very surprised to see a BNSF herald on bilevel car #700 in the
> issue of the Zephyr.
>
> Do any of the Metra locomotives have BNSF or UP heralds or markings on
> them?
>
> Jack Grasso
>
> Jack:
If I remember correctly, when the Rock Island went belly-up, the powers
that be asked the CNW passenger managers who were in control of the
suburban service, to step in and tenatively operate the service when ythe
main portion of the railroad quit running. This was mainly to reassure the
CHicagoland commuters that the service would continue to operate during
this period. The former MILW service was in control of a subsidiary
operating authority. I think it was called the Northwest Suburban Transit
District with trains run by the MILW. Now with the MILW folded into the
Canadian Pacific, I also believe that Metra controlls their routes now.
Also don't forget the Wisconsin and Southern and the Wisconsin Central
routes. They also may be run by Metra. Tom Kaufman