Re: [BRHSlist] Who operates the former CB&Q suburban service?

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Who operates the former CB&Q suburban service?
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 08:38:33 -0500
User757388@a... wrote:

> Re:
> > Locomotives do not have
> > any BNSF markings as they are owned by Metra. The coaches on the other
> > hand do have BNSF heralds (decals) on the sides.
>
> Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but: I believe that when the ex-BN E-units
> were in use and owned by Metra, they still carried BN lettering. Being
> lettered for BN didn't mean they were not owned by Metra. I believe though
> that Metra kept the BN lettering for the sake of nostalgia, whereas they
> wouldn't be interested in painting locos for BNSF just because they run on
> BNSF tracks.
>
> Cheers,
> --Joe Antosiak

Joe:

You got me a little confused here. How is "Metra" involved in this
at all?

As of Jan-91 BN shows 24 E9's lettered BN and 1 F40PH lettered "MET"
leased from West Suburban Mass Transit District.

Same listing shows 141 Suburban Gallery cars assigned to W.S.M.T.D.

I know that around '92 there was a dispute about the control cars
being in the computer since they had to have FRA inspections. For
about a year they were as locomotives: "BNCC 790-815". Nobody
ever updated the inspections so that issue just sort of drifted
away.

Russ