Re: [BRHSlist] Re: MONMOUTH IL.

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: MONMOUTH IL.
From: hold-on@s...
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:30:10 +0000

GEU30CG@a... wrote:

> It may be possible that you are describing the Minneapolis and St. Louis
> mainline that ran east out of Monmouth paralleling the CB&Q and then south
> across 'old Highway 34' and then under the Santa Fe a few miles south. The
> right of way is VERY clear at the highway 34 crossing. You can also see the
> M&StL line just south of the Q in downtown Monmouth.
>
> If you look in an older Burlington Bulletin question 96-9 talks about the
> Signal Tower in Monmouth called "Costello Tower" that protected the CB&Q and
> M@S... There is photo of the crossing too.
>
> The Santa Fe had an interchange yard with the M&St.L that lasted until the
> mid 70's. (After CNW merger by then)
>
> Darren Ferreter
> Cedar Rapids, IA
> GEU30CG@a...
> Darren

That sounds like Monmouth. The M&StL facilities were west of the CB&Q
North-South Main line which use to run out to the packing house and then on to
Rio. In the early 90's the crossing diamonds were still laying in the weeds for
the crossing. NEMO was the name of the Santa Fe/M&StL flyover and interchange.
I use to own a place east of Berwick(where the line curved east for Peoria)with
the north property line as the ROW got some nice poles off the line for use
around the place. Also started a nice insolator collection that way. There use
to be a little diner on the south edge of Abingdon that had a nice collection of
M&StlL photos around Abingdon. BN still use to switch a feed elevator in
Monmouth on the lineSJH