Hide &Tallow

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: Hide &Tallow
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:17:15 EDT
Any train w/a name like hide and tallow must have some interesting stories
attached to it. Can anyone supply additional info on this local discussed in
Mike Spoors Volume 3 that operated in the N.St Louis,Alton to E St Louis and
return pattern. I do know from first hand experience that on the East Side of
the river in a station called National Stock Yard there was at least one
Swift packing plant and I think also an Armour plant. My info is that this
point was served by C.N.&W.,B&O and PRR.I believe it was roughly across the
river from the Q's N St Louis facility. Was this area known for packing
plants,whose,etc.Leo