[CBQ] New BRHS Digital Library !/Aurora,IL bypass

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] New BRHS Digital Library !/Aurora,IL bypass
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 10:00:27 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Last night I spent a very enjoyable and educational hour reading articles on
the new BRHS Digital library. Rupert and Jack are to be commended. It’s easy to
use and a literal gold mine for research on the Q.

I focused on the section about “Depots,Stations and Freight Stores” (would
suggest changing this to Depots,Stations,Freight houses and Storehouses). As an
example of what’s now at our fingertips, I learned so much I didn’t know about
the construction of the Aurora elevation despite previously reading everything
I could find on the subject.

One line in one of the articles stated the Q studied an Aurora,IL bypass that
would have been 16 miles long around Aurora to avoid all the street crossings.
It was eventually decided against it. Then the city of Aurora made the decision
to elevate mandatory with an ordinance. Despite looking through Q annual
reports from 1907-1915 I could learn nothing more about the potential bypass.
From my operational experiences my guess is would have swung east a bit before
Montgomery and run NE  to around Naperville.
Charlie Vlk once mentioned that based on his research, he believed the
Joliet,Rockford and Northern, commonly known as the Burgess Jct. To Paw Paw
line was part of the bypass. Based on what I read last night that the Q
researched the bypass in 1908 while the J.R.&N. was built in 1881(I believe to
move Streator coal north via Paw Paw and Shabbona or
Rockfalls/Sterling/Denrock) that likely was not the case.

Does anyone have additional info. On the potential Aurora bypass ?

Thanks,
Leo Phillipp