[CBQ] CBQ Steam Locomotive Whistles

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] CBQ Steam Locomotive Whistles
From: "Louis Zadnichek via groups.io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 13:44:36 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
October 4, 2022

James - Some years ago, there was a rather lengthy and detailed discussion on this site about Q steam whistles.  I'm not all that computer literate, but maybe some other member of our group can direct you to that thread as I think you'd find it quite informative.

First, I highly recommend you go to the BRHS Website (assuming that you're a BRHS member), enter the members only section and go to the Flickr collection (over 40,000 images at present and growing).  View the many, many images of Q steam locomotives and note the different types of whistles they carried during their service lives, particularly the older power. Also, view the collectibles album that has a number of the different types of whistles shown.

Basically, sometime after World War One, the Q standardized on the five chime cast steel "Banshee" whistles that were made at the Aurora Shops.  Then in the years that followed, as steam locomotives received heavy repairs, their original whistles were exchanged for the five chimers.  Thus, you can find images of five chimers on everything from 0-6-0T roundhouse goats up to 2-10-4's.

But, older style whistles continued to be found on a variety of classes up until the time the locomotives were eventually retired.  There doesn't seem to be any real pattern to this excepting that newer steam power such as the 4-6-4's and 4-8-4's came from their builders with five chimers that they kept through their service lifetimes.  So, if you're modeling a specific locomotive, try to find images of it in the Flickr collection to see what kind of whistle it was equipped with at the time the photo was taken.

Like Bill, I also date back to when Q steam was still in regular use and later into the fan trip era. I, too, can still remember hearing the whistles blow - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL