Re: [CBQ] Rapido Slumbercoach Update

To: "dehosler40@gmail.com" <dehosler40@gmail.com>, "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rapido Slumbercoach Update
From: "Bill Schultz via groups.io" <jwschultz9=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 21:50:42 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
The Slumbercoach is covered in Bulletin No. 55 on pp. 32-35, the DZ/NCL Slumbercoach pool on pp. 92-94, and the pool's demise on p. 130.

To add to the record as regards the assignment of unskirted CB&Q/NP Loch-series Slumbercoaches, the eight second-hand cars NP purchased from Budd in 1964 were primarily intended to replace the Mainstreeter's Chicago-Seattle Pullman (a Chicago-Seattle Slumbercoach was established on December 7, 1964) but also enabled NP (together with its original four cars leased in '59 and purchased in '64) to operate a second Slumbercoach on the North Coast Limited when demand warranted.  NP sold two of its eight second-hand cars to the Q in March 1965 to maintain the latter's Chicago-Seattle equipment mileage equalization.

The Mainstreeter Chicago-Seattle Slumbercoach was temporarily discontinued February 14, 1967, for the reainder of the "off season," and reestablished for the "high season" from June 15 through September 8.  Thereafter, NP, established a shortened Mainstreeter Slumbercoach assignment (Spokane-Seattle).  Upon the discontinuance of the Black Hawk's remaining Chicago-Minneapolis Pullman (last departures March 31, 1968), Burlington established a BH Chicago-Minneapolis Slumbercoach on April 1.  When NP resumed the Mainstreeter's Chicago-Seattle Slumbercoach on September 28, the BH Chicago-Minneapolis car was discontinued.  The Mainstreeter's  Slumbercoach was temporarily discontinued from February 28 through March 28, 1969 (believed to have been to make the cars available for a surge in Viet Nam-bound troops), during which period a BH Chicago-Minneapolis Slumbercoach was restored.  Finally, NP shortened the Mainstreeter's Slumbercoach to St. Paul-Seattle beginning June 1, 1969, and Burlington simultaneously restored the BH Chicago-Minneapolis Slumbercoach which continued until the train's April 1970 discontinuance.

Bill Schultz