Re: [CBQ] Caboose Markers

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Caboose Markers
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 19:36:34 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Mark,

The rule stating a train was a train only when it bore at least one marker  was in existence well beyond the end of the Burlington System in 1970. Markers were mounted on waycars at the rear corners where the side and end walls met. The Burlington marker brackets were curved so as to wrap around the corners . There were brackets at all four corners so that markers could be mounted at the rear regardless of which end of the waycar was the rear end.

Many kerosene marker lamps were modified and/or built with electric bulbs after the NE10 class waycars that had been built at Aurora,IL in 1930  started becoming  equipped with batteries for interior lights, etc. in 1947. The NE12 series that were built in Havelock,NE starting in 1954 and later series were built with electric service so they could use either oil or electric markers.
To my knowledge none of the wood waycars were ever equipped with electricity.

In essence the electric markers were simply modified oil markers.
All my experience was in Illinois  so I’ve never seen a Burlington marker that wasn’t manufactured by Adlake but I can’t speak as to what was used farther west.

Leo Phillipp