Re: [CBQ] Aurora Station in the push-pull era

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Aurora Station in the push-pull era
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 12:01:07 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Bill, Don and All-

The “Suburbanaire” moniker appeared on some of the test paint job rebuilt cars and perhaps timetables and promotional literature but AFAIK really did not catch on as a name for the Q Suburban Service.

The #7022 is one of the stretched and steel plated wood cars that precipitated the building of the open-platform steel cars that ended up being modernized.  Note that they ride on No.2 wood beam trucks. The story (heard at a BRHS meet years ago) was that the railroad had a program stretching old wood cars and putting them on new steel underframes.   An exec asked for details of how much per car the program was costing.  When the data was presented the program was halted as it was very expensive. I am not sure if the cars were being steel sheathed as part of that program or if that was done to make them blend in more with the new steel cars….I am guessing the latter as there are pictures of the stretched cars with wood sides.  A number of the underframes had already been built for the program so the ever-thrifty Q designed a steel car to fit on the underframes resulting in the 7100 series cars.  The new steel cars ran on cast steel trucks with a short wheelbase.  The #7145 in the attached picture shows what the new steel cars looked like before rebuilding for A/C with enclosed vestibules.

At the time the C&NW and CRI&P were building steel cars for their suburban service, the IC had electrified with steel cars, and the PRR and even the C&IW used steel cars so there was quite a bit of peer pressure in the Chicago Suburban Service market.  Only the CMStP&P did not upgrade their suburban fleet until they got the MILW/RI Budd bilevels.

The Bachmann car is their second rendition of a PRR heavyweight Coach with 20 paired windows and a 2 single toilet windows on each side.  The suburban cars had 25 single windows, mainline Chair Cars 16 single windows plus 2 toilet windows and Coaches 21 single windows plus 2 toilet windows.

Being a paired window car it is not like any of the cars used on the Q.

The Heavyweight Coach and Chair cars that were pressed into suburban service to cover cars being modernized, much like the use of ex-C&NW coaches were used when the gallery cars were being refurbished and equipped for HEP.

The production model situation is about the same in HO and N. The Bachmann cars can be stand-ins for the Q heavyweights but they were only used for a relatively short time and, while they probably would look good in the “Suburbanaire” colors are only stand-ins.   Atlas painted up some of their C&NW shorties in N (and O?) in that scheme but being 60’ cars they are too short…and don’t have window sizes to splice into decent cars.

To date the gallery car situation is also bad for production cars.   The old Holgate & Reynolds / Two Brothers aluminum extrusions are pretty crude in HO.  In N the Con-Cor cars were more Milwaukee Road-ish than Q and the Shapeways prints are RTA era not CB&Q.  Some very nice brass cars have been made in HO and of course the NKP sides can build into the 7200 series cars.

You are right about the trap.  You will  be running the 5:20 while I fuss about the lack of an accurate car!!!

Charlie Vlk