Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Keeley Can

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Keeley Can
From: "jpslhedgpeth via groups.io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 22:29:56 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
The reason I posted an inquiry regarding the Keeley Name was to find out how many...if any were aware as to where the name KEELEY came from.  It did apparently reach you and you seem to undersand.

Back in the day...probably lte 1800- early 1900 a man whose name is Keeley "invented a cure" for alcoolism...said "cure" apparently require drinking obscene amounts of water.

Hence...as they are prone to do the "OLD TIME RAILROADERS" jumped on the name KEELEY for anything that involved large quanties of water.

The usual device carrying the Keeley Name by railroaders was the can of water which was nailed to the wall or wired tot the sill step on a car which was experiencing a hotbox.  The can of water was nailed to the car wall and a hose was run from the can down to the  "overheated spindle" and the can was filled with water after the fire in the journal box was extinguished and the box was repacked or rebrassed and the train would proceed with the rear end crew keeping a sharp eye on their "doctored up" journal which was being cooled and lubricated by water from the "Keeley Can" running down the hose into the journal box.

As was the usual railroad custom anything new or unusual would "merit" a railroad "moniker"  hence tkhe name KEELY WAS ATTACHED TO ANYTING THAT INVOLVED THE USE OF WATER.  In large quantities.

Pete